Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why do I get "limited or no connectivity" on my own wireless when I can connect to others

I have set up a wireless network in my house and it works fine for other people, but my laptop won't connect to it. I know the laptop is fine because it connects to other networks ok. I can connect to the internet by plugging in the cable to the router.



When I try to connect wirelessly, I get an error message saying "limited or no connectivity," which means "you might not be able to access internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."



When I click on repair, it says that it "could not finish repairing the network because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address."



Once again: Other laptops can connect to the network and my laptop connects to other networks. I can connect to the router, but only through the cable. I'm stumped. Can anybody help?



Why do I get "limited or no connectivity" on my own wireless when I can connect to others with no problems?cafe racer



It's so easy to just grab the laptop and do it haha.



Do you have WEP or WPA enabled? If you could dump your setings here that would help.



The biggest things I see for this problem when I help people out, is on encryption type, some routers are stingy about your choice. If you have it on shared encryption, change it to open (or vice versa) and give that a try. Disable the wireless modem, and enable it again and see if that works.



Always try to narrow it down the smallest problem. It sounds that since other people can connect, it is probably your computer. So try disabling any protection, and see if you can get to the modem at all.



Can you connect to other wireless networks?

No comments:

Post a Comment