Friday, August 21, 2009

Do I have a jinxed car?

In January, I bought a used car. It was certified by the dealership, in excellent condition, and I do love it. But...it seems to be having some problems. I had the actuator for the locks replaced cuz it locked me in the car once. I had to get the convertible top repaired after it stopped working after a minor fender bender that shouldn't have done anything to the top. I had problems with the car computer after it kept telling me that lights were out. Then, the window stopped working.... I'm wondering if I bought a jinxed car.



I may have an opportunity to replace it, but it will put me a bit further in debt than I want to be. It would be an upgrade for me - one year newer. I absolutely LOVE the newer car, but wonder if I'm being rediculous.



Do I ditch my current car and go for it? I am worried that maybe all these little problems with it will eventually cost me more in the long run than the up-front investment I'd be making with the new one.



Do I have a jinxed car?triumph



Easy equation on this one.



Add up the total costs of repair for one year. If the total exceeds more then 30% of the value of the car, then you're losing more money then what the car is worth. Between the depreciation and the repairs, you're throwing extra money away.



If you're going to keep the car, take it to a qualified mechanic and have them go over the car, checking everything and anything. Doing a little pre-maintenances will save you money as you won't have huge problems to repair later.

No comments:

Post a Comment