Sunday, August 23, 2009

Van sputtering, stalling, stopping...?

I have a 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager that has completely stopped running, and won't start, twice now. It happened once, then after repairs that included a fuel filter, pvc valve, air filter and fuel pump, it sputters and stalls, and the engine light comes on. The mechanic has checked the wiring harness, and tried another computer in it, with no change in the results. This is a reputable car repair place with mechanics that have worked on my vehicle for about two years, and I trust them completely, but they seem to have no idea what's wrong. Also, I have replaced the serpentine belt twice and the belt tensioner three times, all under warranty, and now the tensioner is wiggly again. I don't know if these are conncted in some way. The belt does not appear to come off. I had gas tank problems about three years ago, that were covered under a recall, and no longer seems to be a problem. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?



Van sputtering, stalling, stopping...?ariel



You were not all that clear concerning what the mechanics found, only some of what they did.



Is it getting spark?



Is the fuel pressure within spec?



Which engine?



There are a host of causes of these symptoms for this vehicle, but the most confusing to diagnose on Chrysler products seems to be the CAM and CRANK sensors.



When one or the other or both begin to fail, the PCM loses its "SYNC" signal, and the engine runs like it is running out of fuel, or like it has a bad plug wire, or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment